Steal this Site! System of a Down Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

NEW Scars on Broadway Details!!!

Go down 
+3
Kody
Mr.Killerguitar
hackthesystem is sexy
7 posters
AuthorMessage
hackthesystem is sexy
Badass Motherfucker
hackthesystem is sexy

Number of posts : 112
NEW Scars on Broadway Details!!! Left_bar_bleue65 / 10065 / 100NEW Scars on Broadway Details!!! Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-02-11

NEW Scars on Broadway Details!!! Empty
PostSubject: NEW Scars on Broadway Details!!!   NEW Scars on Broadway Details!!! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 12:56 am

Courtesy of soadomized...

System Of A Down Guitarist Says Scars On Broadway Is No Side Project

by Chris Harris
taken from mtv.com

For Daron Malakian, there is no System of a Down — there's only Scars on Broadway, the band he formed with System's drummer, John Dolmayan, soon after the Serj Tankian-fronted act

went on an indefinite hiatus back in 2006. Let there be no confusion on the matter: Scars is not a side project, it's Malakian's band — his only band. And we'd all better get used to it.

"There's no talk of System doing anything," said Malakian, System's gifted guitarist and one of the chief creative forces behind the alt-metal maniacs. "We're not planning on doing anything. If anyone's holding their breath for a System record, they're going to turn blue and pass out. It's a long ways away, if it ever even happens. We don't even talk about it — none of us. This is my band right now."

In fact, Malakian said he plans on releasing at least two Scars on Broadway records before he even starts to think about System's next opus. And with the way he's been writing songs lately, chances are there might be a third Scars LP before System's triumphant return.

"I should be finished with vocals in the next couple of weeks," he said of his band's forthcoming self-titled album, which he doesn't expect in stores until after the summer. "All we have to do after that is mix the record. I've been in the studio for months now, and we had 15 songs when we first hit the studio in September. We tracked those 15 songs, and then I had, like, maybe five or six songs I felt I really needed to get off my chest. So I took the band back to my house where we were rehearsing, and in a matter of a month, we had those songs written, and we headed back into the studio in late November and tracked those additional songs."

That gives Malakian 21 songs he can use for Scars' inaugural offering. "Now the tough part's choosing which songs will make the album," he explained. "About 18 of them compete well with each other, when it comes to the quality of the song and how I feel about them. If it's not some of the best material I've ever done, I don't want to use it."

With all these songs on tape, would Malakian consider releasing two albums back-to-back, as System did in 2005 with Mezmerize and Hypnotize? "I don't want to do that again," he said with a relieved chuckle. "I mean, it's possible. I do want people to hear the rest of the songs in some way, shape or form. Maybe we'll release an EP or just get them out there online."

Of course, Scars on Broadway have been percolating for some time now, but no one knows just what to expect from the album — some might listen to the record thinking they're getting System of a Down Lite. But Malakian, who compliments Dolmayan's drum work on the LP, said that's the wrong approach to take with Scars.

"I think [John is] playing better now than he ever has," Malakian said. "The music on the record is more rock-driven. ... See, there's two sides to my writing: this really aggressive, heavy, attitude side, and then there's the softer, vulnerable side. You got both sides with System, and I feel Scars has that same dynamic, but it seems like the heavier stuff is more driven, in a rock way, and a lot of the stuff is more ... I hear a lot of my '60s influence coming out in these songs. I hear it as being less of a metal band too. Nothing against metal ... I think there are some overtones that are still there, in the music. But we're more of a rock band than a metal band, and that's just the natural evolution of where I am with my writing."

Working on the Scars record wasn't much different from working on a SOAD record, Malakian said. But it was different — and the guitarist is nervous about how his new band is going to be accepted by the System faithful.

"Most people assume that the process was different for me, but it wasn't," he said. "My approach of how I write and how I've written songs — nothing's changed. The only difference is ... I knew I was singing these songs. Usually, if I have somebody else in mind to sing a song, that person automatically comes out in my writing. It's sort of like writing for a character in a script. This time, there weren't two characters — just me. So it catered more to my style, my range, my vocals, my lyrics. The one difference is I didn't have Serj on my mind while I was writing these songs, because I knew he wouldn't be singing these songs.

"And I have to admit, I am nervous, but I have always been nervous when it comes to putting out an album," Malakian continued. "I always want to grow and top myself."

While Scars on Broadway have no definite touring plans yet — they've assembled a band of hired guns and are hoping to hit the road late this summer after debuting at the Coachella Festival in April — Malakian can't wait for people to hear what he's been working on.

"It's another evolution," he said. "Everyone who hears it says [that]. Anyone who has heard it says it feels like it's a natural evolution, and it is an evolution. It's a different sound that doesn't completely branch away from what my signature stuff is. It does have its own life, its own identity, which was not easy to achieve. But I'm still growing as an artist, and personally, I'm still writing stuff I feel is powerful. I haven't lost my fire as a writer yet."

This report is from MTV News.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Killerguitar
Page Founder
Mr.Killerguitar

Number of posts : 1049
NEW Scars on Broadway Details!!! Left_bar_bleue100 / 100100 / 100NEW Scars on Broadway Details!!! Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: NEW Scars on Broadway Details!!!   NEW Scars on Broadway Details!!! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 3:07 am

Well, sounds like Daron takes it too serious. Serj sees it more relaxter, I guess we see now the roles of System. Everyone doing his stuff makes the whole thing more clear.

BTW, what has John to say to SOB?
Back to top Go down
https://steal-this-site.forumieren.de
Kody
Administrator
Kody

Number of posts : 665
NEW Scars on Broadway Details!!! Left_bar_bleue500 / 100500 / 100NEW Scars on Broadway Details!!! Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: NEW Scars on Broadway Details!!!   NEW Scars on Broadway Details!!! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 4:34 am

Hmm, it does seem that there is a fued between Serj and Daron. Although i am really ecstatic and exited for Scars, i still would like SoaD back. Sad
Back to top Go down
GanjaEgoBrain
Heathen
GanjaEgoBrain

Number of posts : 11
NEW Scars on Broadway Details!!! Left_bar_bleue50 / 10050 / 100NEW Scars on Broadway Details!!! Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-02-15

PostSubject: Re: NEW Scars on Broadway Details!!!   NEW Scars on Broadway Details!!! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 8:51 am

Oh.
I have chosen to ignore the so called "Fued"
Up until now, it really does seem like they had a fight.
But, bands break up all the time.
We were just living in a dream world if we thought they would stay together forever.
I know I was, and I suppose all my dreams are incorrect.
Damn Daron!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/stalesoda
loly
Soady
loly

Number of posts : 55
NEW Scars on Broadway Details!!! Left_bar_bleue50 / 10050 / 100NEW Scars on Broadway Details!!! Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-02-13

PostSubject: Re: NEW Scars on Broadway Details!!!   NEW Scars on Broadway Details!!! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 5:22 pm

I respect Daron as a musician,songwriter..etc,but i really don't like the way he talks about serj,and all the music HE did,he makes it seem like if he was everything in SYSTEM which is just not true..anyways, hope he really does good music in SOB..
Back to top Go down
http://www.costadelrock.es
holy shit a tiger
Lisa
holy shit a tiger

Number of posts : 435

Registration date : 2008-01-23

PostSubject: Re: NEW Scars on Broadway Details!!!   NEW Scars on Broadway Details!!! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 5:50 pm

I thought they were going to have a death-metal/techno sound? Rolling Eyes Way to contradict yourself, Daron. He sounds like an asshole here, honestly... I'd prefer not to listen to asshole music, thankyouverymuch. He sounds a lot different in this interview than others - perhaps he was putting up a facade. And people wonder why I hate him? HA! Sometimes he thinks too highly of himself.
Back to top Go down
loly
Soady
loly

Number of posts : 55

Registration date : 2008-02-13

PostSubject: Re: NEW Scars on Broadway Details!!!   NEW Scars on Broadway Details!!! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 7:53 pm

Commodore wrote:
Sometimes he thinks too highly of himself.

Agreed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.costadelrock.es
hackthesystem is sexy
Badass Motherfucker
hackthesystem is sexy

NEW Scars on Broadway Details!!! Left_bar_bleue65 / 10065 / 100NEW Scars on Broadway Details!!! Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: NEW Scars on Broadway Details!!!   NEW Scars on Broadway Details!!! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 6:34 am

DAMN, what's with all the hatin'?

Jeez guys, he IS the person that made you a SOADFan (considering he's written the music to every song BUT shimmy!)

Sleep
Back to top Go down
Mr.Killerguitar
Page Founder
Mr.Killerguitar

Number of posts : 1049
NEW Scars on Broadway Details!!! Left_bar_bleue100 / 100100 / 100NEW Scars on Broadway Details!!! Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: NEW Scars on Broadway Details!!!   NEW Scars on Broadway Details!!! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 6:35 am

I just think he takes it too serious and thinks it's a competition.
Back to top Go down
https://steal-this-site.forumieren.de
Psycho_Shadow
Anti-Fly-SWAT-Team-Leader
Psycho_Shadow

Number of posts : 93
NEW Scars on Broadway Details!!! Left_bar_bleue85 / 10085 / 100NEW Scars on Broadway Details!!! Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-02-20

PostSubject: Re: NEW Scars on Broadway Details!!!   NEW Scars on Broadway Details!!! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 7:14 am

Wow, Daron's becoming quite the asshole! And yes, he does seem pretty competitive with Serj. That can't be any good..

I never really looked forward to SOB, I was just waiting for System to come back. Jerk.

At least there's Elect the Dead and such to listen to..
Back to top Go down
http://psycho-shadow2.deviantart.com
holy shit a tiger
Lisa
holy shit a tiger

Number of posts : 435

Registration date : 2008-01-23

PostSubject: Re: NEW Scars on Broadway Details!!!   NEW Scars on Broadway Details!!! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 4:41 pm

hackthesystem wrote:
DAMN, what's with all the hatin'?

Jeez guys, he IS the person that made you a SOADFan (considering he's written the music to every song BUT shimmy!)

Sleep

He's a competitive cunt and LOL @ that because Shimmy was the song that turned me into a SOAD Fan. But their music (i.e. the instruments) was always sub-par in my opinion, so it doesn't matter.
Back to top Go down
hackthesystem is sexy
Badass Motherfucker
hackthesystem is sexy

PostSubject: Re: NEW Scars on Broadway Details!!!   NEW Scars on Broadway Details!!! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 5:43 am

God damn, guys, this is disappointing.

Edit from Mr.Killerguitar: I don't want this shit around here

I give Daron props for having the balls to speak the truth. He doesn't pull any shit, he just comes out and says it. And that's what makes him a great musician. He doesn't give a fuck what people think.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NEW Scars on Broadway Details!!!   NEW Scars on Broadway Details!!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NEW Scars on Broadway Details!!!
Page 1 of 1