Steal this Site! System of a Down Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

SSST interviews Serj about next album.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
holy shit a tiger
Lisa
holy shit a tiger

Number of posts : 435
SSST interviews Serj about next album. Left_bar_bleue50 / 10050 / 100SSST interviews Serj about next album. Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-01-23

SSST interviews Serj about next album. Empty
PostSubject: SSST interviews Serj about next album.   SSST interviews Serj about next album. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 11:16 pm

Thanks to Jon from the SSST for putting this up.
Interview: Serj Tankian concerning 2009 album release.

I was going to wait until the SS Street Team website was up to release this, but there hasn’t been much activity on the SS Street Team myspace latley, so I’ve been given the go ahead from SSR to post it early to keep intrest in the team. Enjoy it.

Q: There has been a lot of speculation about your new album, wether it’s going to be rock, jazz, classical, or a mix of them all. Could you shine some light on the matter for us?

ST: It’s definitely not going to be a rock album. I’ve been performing rock songs for over a decade now. My public image has primarily been as a ’rocker’, but when I’m at home in my studio it’s primarily more of a classical or a jazz sound, you know? I love the piano, the clarinet, the saxophone, the violin, and when I’m at home even if it’s synthesized, those are the instruments I enjoy playing the most.

Q: Is there a possibility for a late 2008 release, or are you set on a 2009 release?

ST: I haven’t really set a time frame for myself as of now, but I wouldn’t really hold my breath for anything earlier than 2009. I’m currently touring with The F.C.C. and I haven’t had much down time to sit and actually write new material. Doing these things on my own now, makes it a much more personal experience, and just like with Elect the Dead I want this new project to be equally as personal and equally a enjoyable to create. I don’t want to rush into anything.

Q: Would you say the album is going to be a more modern approach to jazz and classical sounds, such as Frank Zappa?

ST: I wouldn’t really categorize it in any one place, but it’s defiantly something new. I’ve taken a lot of examples from classic artists such as Dizzy Gillespie and Bunny Berigan, both fantastic trumpet players that really changed jazz music, especially with the bebop and afro-cuban musics that came from that time. But one thing I really want to come out on this new record is an aspect of jazz that people haven’t heard before.

Q: Could you go into a little more detail?

ST: Well, I mean, when you hear a lot of classic jazz and swing, it’s very upbeat, but you rarely see darker sounds coming from jazz, you know? I want to create something that has the deep sounds from classical music, like Beethoven and Mozart, and mix that with the upbeat sounds of jazz to create a sort of almost ominous and epic feel.

Q: Do you have a name for the next album yet?

ST: I haven’t even thought about it.

Q: With the new alum being so grand in scale, how do you expect to perform these songs.

ST: Being in the music industry you get to know a lot of people through various friends and artists, and I have a few people in mind at the moment who I’d really like to tour with, but right now it’s all still open.

Q: Do you see a problem in having places to perform for this next albums tour?

ST: I thought about this a while, and I obviously can’t play in smaller clubs like I did with Elect the Dead. As much as I enjoy having that personal experience with the audience, It’s just impossible to fit a whole orchestra of people in such a small space, never mind the sound issues we’d have. I really want to play someplace grand, like Carnegie hall, which back in the late 1930’s they had this famous Jazz concert with Benny Goodman. That would really be something.

Q: Thanks again for taking the time to answer these questions.

ST: No problem, thank you.
Back to top Go down
Kody
Administrator
Kody

Number of posts : 665
SSST interviews Serj about next album. Left_bar_bleue500 / 100500 / 100SSST interviews Serj about next album. Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: SSST interviews Serj about next album.   SSST interviews Serj about next album. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 11:20 pm

Shocked I hope there are some classical instruments in his next album, a jazz album by him would be amazing!
Back to top Go down
holy shit a tiger
Lisa
holy shit a tiger

SSST interviews Serj about next album. Left_bar_bleue50 / 10050 / 100SSST interviews Serj about next album. Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: SSST interviews Serj about next album.   SSST interviews Serj about next album. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 5:44 am

LOL APRIL FOOLS.
I love their sense of humor. Very Happy So yep, this ain't true, but hell he's said he wants to make a jazz album in like 10 different interviews, so that's the only legit part.
Back to top Go down
Kody
Administrator
Kody

SSST interviews Serj about next album. Left_bar_bleue500 / 100500 / 100SSST interviews Serj about next album. Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: SSST interviews Serj about next album.   SSST interviews Serj about next album. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 1:24 pm

I hate you. Sad

xD
Back to top Go down
TADDEUS
TADDEUS

Number of posts : 813

Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: SSST interviews Serj about next album.   SSST interviews Serj about next album. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 4:32 pm

^^ I hope he dos NOT do a jazz album. I so hate jazz. Ew.
Back to top Go down
holy shit a tiger
Lisa
holy shit a tiger

PostSubject: Re: SSST interviews Serj about next album.   SSST interviews Serj about next album. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 5:40 pm

He's been saying it for quite a while, though. Jazz/classical. Of course, you know he'd probably be a little more innovative than typical lounge jazz. Now excuse me while I listen to Roger Cicero. Only German jazz artist I like (and uh, know). Razz
Back to top Go down
TADDEUS
TADDEUS

PostSubject: Re: SSST interviews Serj about next album.   SSST interviews Serj about next album. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 5:45 pm

Roger Cicero?! Steven, you must be kidding Shocked
Back to top Go down
holy shit a tiger
Lisa
holy shit a tiger

PostSubject: Re: SSST interviews Serj about next album.   SSST interviews Serj about next album. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 5:54 pm

I LOVE HIM OKAY. >O And I was wrong, I like a German jazz band-thing too. Wait... is there a reason I shouldn't like him? o.o
Back to top Go down
TADDEUS
TADDEUS

PostSubject: Re: SSST interviews Serj about next album.   SSST interviews Serj about next album. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 5:57 pm

You can like whatever you want to like but I just cant stand his voice, it annoys me.. makes me wanna kill him.. *shrugs*
Back to top Go down
Kody
Administrator
Kody

PostSubject: Re: SSST interviews Serj about next album.   SSST interviews Serj about next album. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 8:54 pm

Stay on topic! Even though there's not much more to discuss.
Back to top Go down
holy shit a tiger
Lisa
holy shit a tiger

PostSubject: Re: SSST interviews Serj about next album.   SSST interviews Serj about next album. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 9:22 pm

Okay. I will stay on topic from now on if you change my name to Morocco Mole. And it's almost on topic! He keeps saying jazz and I'm saying I hope it's like the other jazz I like. cyclops
Back to top Go down
Kody
Administrator
Kody

PostSubject: Re: SSST interviews Serj about next album.   SSST interviews Serj about next album. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 10:03 pm

Morocco Mole? Okay, here we go. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SSST interviews Serj about next album.   SSST interviews Serj about next album. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SSST interviews Serj about next album.
Page 1 of 1